See more posts on Little Free Libraries!
On October 26, 2016 the Development Code Amendment regarding Little Free Libraries in the City of Dallas was heard by the Dallas City Council:
- Item 60. A public hearing to receive comments regarding amendments to Chapter 51 and Chapter 51A of the Dallas Development Code, Section 51-4.217 and Section 51A-4.217, “Accessory Uses,” providing regulations for book exchange structures as accessory outside storage and an ordinance granting the amendments.
The adopted motion was to “treat landscaping, ornamental structures (front yard accessories) and lawn furniture by right,” meaning no new code restrictions would be placed on “book exchange structures” or Little Free Libraries.
- Voting Yes:  Rawlings, Alonzo, Wilson, Griggs, Medrano, Thomas, Callahan, Young, Clayton, McGough, Kleinman, Greyson, Gates, Kingston
- Voting No:  Arnold
While the City of Dallas will not restrict the size or location of Little Free Libraries on private property, if you are considering placing a LFL on your private property, we recommend contacting you HOA (if applicable) for any restrictions that may affect your library structure.
Our thanks goes to everyone who contacted their councilperson and expressed their opinion of the Development Code Amendment!
See lfldallas.org and the links below for more resources for Little Free Libraries!
- Our summary of the impacts of the new Development Code Amendment https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5248ebd5e4b0240948a6ceff/t/580a7222579fb335f9dc6d91/1477079601148/LFL_codes_package.pdf
- Our previous post on the Development Code Amendment http://www.bcworkshop.org/posts/dallas-development-code-amendment-affecting-little-free-libraries?rq=little%20free%20libraries
- City Council Agenda 10/26/2016 (Page 15) - http://citysecretary2.dallascityhall.com/pdf/CC2016/102616AG.pdf
- City Council Meeting Minutes 10/26/2016 (Page 67) - http://citysecretary2.dallascityhall.com/pdf/CC2016/102616min.pdf