Out of Deepwood, our first Neighborhood Stories film of its scale, has been released online for free. The film tells the story of the Trinity River Audubon Center, which today is a place of discovery, education, and tranquility. Yet this location, adjacent to a middle-class African-American neighborhood, has not always been so peaceful. For a quarter century, the City of Dallas turned a blind eye to over two million cubic yards of trash being dumped illegally. This is the story of the precedent-setting environmental law case Cox v. City of Dallas, Texas, the reclamation of land, and a neighborhood’s fight for justice.
The goal of our Neighborhood Stories initiative is to strengthen awareness of our city, celebrate the diverse places that give it character and texture, and create a platform for active dialogue about its history and future. The story of the Deepwood neighbors is a prime example of what can happen when a neighborhood isn’t given the attention it needs and how difficult it is for some neighborhoods to get this attention. The Deepwood neighbors protested for 25 years, but nothing changed until the courts got involved. Deepwood points to the need to fight against a “it’s not my neighborhood” attitude, as the results - social, economic, environmental, legal - can be devastating for an entire city. While an extreme example, Deepwood is a cautionary tale for any city and its citizens.
Check out what other people are saying, and learn more about the film:
- "'Out of Deepwood' Powerfully Recounts Southeast Dallas Neighbors' Fight Against Illegal Dump" - Sharon Grigsby, Dallas Morning News
- "If you watch one 23-minute documentary about a former illegal Dallas dump today, make it director Craig Weflen’s terrific Out of Deepwood." - Robert Wilonsky, Dallas Morning News
- "...invaluable perspective on the events, old and new, that have greatly impacted the city, south of downtown." - Chris Mosley, D Magazine
- "A solid look at a well-kept secret both beautiful and horrendous." - Gary Dowell, Theater Jones
- bcWORKSHOP Releases 'Out of Deepwood' Film - Impact Design Hub